Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Venice

Venice by Jan Morris


http://www.amazon.co.uk/Venice-New-revised-Jan-Morris/dp/0571168973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288207862&sr=8-1

I have just finished this wonderful book and I can’t tell you how many times I nearly cried at the beauty of the writing about a city that makes me cry because to me it is the most beautiful place on earth.

The charm of the book was that Morris obviously loves the city as much as I do and is able to write about it in ways that illuminate that love and which broaden my knowledge of it. She writes about the history of the place and its people, the art, the culture, the geography and in a way that is never dull. She backs up her grand historical statements with her knowledge of specific Venetian people she knew when she lived there.

I don’t often consider going on holiday with total strangers but my perfect holiday would be going to Venice with Jan Morris. She would be a knowledgeable guide and a witty and fun companion in this magical place.

No comments:

Post a Comment